This site has put together the most complete record and pictures every gathered in one spot of the Queens Park Crewe with old pictures to the modern day Click on any picture on the site for a full screen picture
13th March 2001
The lodges are progressing with the West lodge having the rear which wasnt original knocked down
The scaffolding is also up around the lodge for external work to be done.
Sunday, February 27, 2011
There is work going on at the park but its hard to show much change from last week that can be seen in a picture. The lodge has now got scaffolding around it ready for the work to begin. As you can see we are starting to see the first flush of spring as the pansies come into flower.
Saturday, February 19, 2011
Saturday, February 12, 2011
Work has begun to restore the gatehouse lodges at Queens Park to their former glory.
While the work is under way, the adjoining main gates on Victoria Avenue will be closed. However, a temporary entrance has been created 50 yards along the road, for pedestrian access.
A total of £300,000 has been allocated for the refurbishment, which includes new roof cladding, replacement windows, porch repairs, demolition of extensions and structures that are not original, reinstatement of drainpipes and gutters to match originals and restoration of the garden and boundary walls to their original condition and location.
Both lodges will have new gas central heating boilers, new floor coverings and be completely redecorated.
The West Lodge will also get a disabled toilet, new kitchen, offices, new memorabilia room and a meeting room for school groups and other users.
The East Lodge will be completely rewired and have new toilets, showers and mess facilities for the gardening team, offices, a training/meeting room for horticultural students, storage for hand tools and an external cleaning area for equipment within the walled garden. The work is due to be completed by the end of May.
constructed in Stone and timber' the stone being of red sandstone, extracted from railway
cutting that go down Lime St Station Liverpool. The inscription at first floor level on both lodges commemorate both the dedication and opening ceremonies. Both lodges are buildings of special architectural and historical interest therefore they are both Grade 2 listed buildings.
Not an identical pair, the West Lodge has a Bell Tower and was for use by the chief foreman in charge of the gardeners. Whilst the East Lodge was built for the Park's Curator. Incidentally, there have only been four Park Curators in the Park's history. The four curators are>
Ceorge Latimer 1888 - 1906
Lawrence Morgan 1906 -1935
Herbert Probert 1935 -1960
Colin Farmer 1960 -1984
(After 1984 the system was changed, with the park being looked after under a different scheme).
In the apex of the roof on both lodges facing Victoria Avenue are two unique witticisms on the two people who the park owes its very existence to. On the east lodge is a painting of a bat, moon and tree in yellow and green. A pun to Sir Richard Moon, Chairman of the LNWR Company. Whilst the west lodge has a spider's web, a tree and a spider, a pun on Francis William Webb.